directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: To release or not to release?
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:32:38 GMT
Tencé, Vincent wrote:

>+1
>
>I agree that it will push us to do the things we need to do. I've got many
>on my side. Moreover, we'll learn a lot through this release process.
>
>When are we planning the release?

Well with the support we're getting to release I say let's start ASAP.
We've got a long way to go that's for sure starting sooner rather than
later is a good idea. Personally I'm going to hold off on some massive
changes to Snickers that I intended to make for many reasons
(performance, stability, maintainability - yeah snickers needs help)
but this can wait.  Basically if things are working then we can
release.  I personally have to finish off some work in the LDAP provider
which is incomplete.  There are also some critical bugs to grok in snickers.

>I'm asking since a lot of Janus code
>recently upgraded out of sandbox and I'm really close to having enough
>functionality for a first release.

Very cool.

>I have the authentication and
>authorization code working nicely together now, and I'm almost done with the
>XML builders. This will be enough for demonstration purposes and simple
>usage. Next step will be to replace XML by a much more powerful scripting
>interface (probably using groovy), for
>configuration and wiring as well as authorization rules definition.

That sounds very exciting.  I'm very curious to see how you would script
out authorization rules.  Are you looking at authorization expressions
as defined in things like SAML.  Also I have no idea about it but
someone at the conference recommended taking a look at XACML for
authorization rule expressivity.  I need to do this sort of research for
Eve's authorization module.

Perhaps Vincent this is an area where you can contribute to Eve as
well.  Eve's authorization subsystem is currently hardcoded to protect
the system area under ou=system.  However we need some form of access
control instructions within the server soon.  If you are interested let
me know.  Also I will post my slides from A/C to this list so people can
look at it.  It was pretty lame for a presentation but most excellent as
a how to get involved intro document.