directory-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Wegner <marty_weg...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Embedding Eve Was: To release or not to release?
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:13:55 GMT
> What kind of files would you make for Eve? My todo list has: attach
> commons-configuration to directory-naming, though I've no idea whether
> it's workable. Does Eve have this stuff already?

Commons-configuration is a good idea.  I wrote my own implementation based
on what I thought were limitations of commons-config but it is probably a
better idea to start with something from Jakarta.

A classic place to start is see if the log4j config file can be moved into
an LDAP server.  Imagine being able to edit the log4j config file using an
LDAP client instead of using a text editor.  And then it can be shared
amongst multiple apps (if need be).

The slippery slope of this suggestion is that no one has ever codified a
best practices in this area (server config in an LDAP server).  So my
guess is that this group will stir up a number of hornets with this idea.
But that is a good sign.  If we can get a set of best practices defined
(LDAP tree structure, DN construction, live update handling, etc.) then I
think the Eve server will have provided a benefit above and beyond the
LDAP server.

--Marty