directory-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: [OT] [Fwd: News.com article - Sun & MS directory services]
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:08:30 GMT

On Oct 19, 2004, at 5:58 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Interesting news regarding SUN and MS collaboration on the LDAP front.
>  And does anyone know why SUN is calling the legacy iPlanet code the
> 'Java Enterprise LDAP Server' now.  There isn't a lick of Java in that
> code I thought.

About a year ago (?), Sun did a rebranding of stuff, and part of that
was the creation of the "Sun JAva Enterprise System", which included
non-Java things like LDAP.  It was a big move on their part, as they
broke the marketing agreements surrounding Java in that no vendor could
use "Java" as the lead term in a product name, to prevent confusion in
the marketplace between things that were part of the language and
ecosystem, and products.

geir

geir@gluecode.com