directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [seda] Coding standards and commit 56039 (by Trustin)
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:34:51 GMT
Hiya again,

Ok looking more at the mx4j guy's coding style I think its emaculate.
These other syles are old and crusty ways of doing things.  Personally I
want stuff to look cleaner and better.  Been looking around and talking
to some commons and Geronimo guys.  I think more people want cleaner
even though this area has been so archaic.  They I think find themselves
having to follow these old standards because a company said so.  Looks
like the standards docs were not updated by SUN since 1999.

Java has come a long way since then and some conventions just don't
apply anymore.  Also I wanted to point out something else that I use as
a convention.  I always use ii, jj, and kk for loop variables and
learned this from Rob Penoyer.  It's the best way to search your code
for loops cuz I find 'for' in java docs so that's no good and I find
'i', 'j' and 'k' everywhere.  So you see that this stardard of using
'i', 'j' and 'k' for loop variables has a better alternative.

I vote that we invent our own standard using other peoples examples.
Cleaner coding standards do not raise and set with the SUN Java coding
standards.  Until then please follow the current coding style by
inferring it.  When we have something we should do a checkstyle and a
Jalopy configuration for that standard and publish it on our site.

Alex