directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [seda] Coding standards and commit 56039 (by Trustin)
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:22:41 GMT
Hi all,

Looks like this commit was to basically reformat and reorganize the
code.  I'm cool with that but the Jalopy net affect is to undo my
formatting style which I agree is not the Java standard.

What I ask now, are you following the Java standard with this Jalopy
formating you are using?  If not we need to come up with something for
the whole team.  I used to use the Avalon coding style and formating.
For me I have bad eyes so I moved to my own style that puts spaces
between stuff so its easier for my eyes.  Here's what mine looks like as
opposed to the SUN Java style:

My style has brackets ALWAYS on a new line.  I follow this religiously.
Also I put a space between ( and ) as you can see.

    public RequestHandler getHandler( Object request )
    {
        return new NoReplyHandler()
        {
            public void handle( Object request )
            {
            }

            public HandlerTypeEnum getHandlerType()
            {
                return HandlerTypeEnum.NOREPLY;
            }
        };
    }

These are the fundamental differences between my style and the Java style below which looks
like the SUN Java recommended formatting.

    public RequestHandler getHandler(Object request) {
        return new NoReplyHandler() {
                public void handle(Object request) {
                }

                public HandlerTypeEnum getHandlerType() {
                    return HandlerTypeEnum.NOREPLY;
                }
            };
    }

I like mine much better and think the whole damn world is wrong but you
can't piss against the wind and expect not to get wet right?  So again
conforming to the standard is best even if it IMO looks less readible.
I will adapt but is this what we want to do.  Should we just use the
jakarta coding standards?

Personally I think there are a few good options for us so please add to
this and gimme a check.  This is more a poll rather than a formal vote
since we need to feel out what everyone thinks.

[ ] Jakarta standards
[ ] SUN Java recommended standards (might be the same as Jakarta)
[ ] Alex's coding standards
[ ] Geronimo coding standards
[X] mx4j standards but use 4 spaces instead of 3 for tabs
[ ] invent our own

See here:
 http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mx4j/mx4j/src/core/mx4j/AbstractDynamicMBean.java?rev=1.6&view=markup

So people gimme some feedback.  In the meantime Trustin please revert
this change for just the formating.

Alex