directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [eve] good news: she's alive!
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:36:26 GMT
Hi all,

I finally fired up the new backend subsystem which is synonymous with
the Eve JNDI Provider.  The frontend end networking protocol call has
not been rigged up yet though.  This will be integrated within a couple
weeks when Trustin gets SEDA ready.  I used the Eve JNDI provider as a
plain old LDAP JNDI provider to create and remove contexts within Eve's
backend.  You could just as easily have used the SUN LDAP JNDI Provider
instead.  Here take a look at a simple test case and see for yer self:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/eve/trunk/backend/core/src/test/org/apache/eve/jndi/EveContextFactoryTest.java?rev=55355&view=auto

Notice: there's not a single import in this test case with
org.apache.eve in there!!!

I can't stress how really brittle she is right now though but we are
poised to write the interceptors needed to inject various services and
handle situations more gracefully making her much more robust.

By no means is the foundation work done with the JNDI provider.  We
still need to iron out many things.  Cool thing though is we're at a
point where we can kick the tires and play while adding to the
foundation with interceptors.

I will begin writing the baselines to the first few critical
interceptors in the next few days which includes:

 o DN Normalizer IBS (interceptor based service)
 o Search Helper IBS
 o Operational Attribute Maintenance IBS
 o JNDI Event Notification IBS
 o Logging IBS
 o Exception Handling IBS
 o Schema Checking IBS
 o JAAS based (simple) Authentication IBS
 o Simple Authorization IBS (Maybe if time permits)

I hope to get these IBCs operational within the next week so.  We can
start filling these in with more significant code as we progress.

Some may ask why all of a sudden all this activity?  Well we're trying
to get something up and operational by ApacheCon for unofficial demos of
the server.  Not only that we're going to be able to debut Eve with
Kerberos embedded within if we sleep less and work harder :).

Anyone's help is much appreciated and there are several fronts where
people can contribute so please let us know if you can help out.

Cheers,
Alex