directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject Re: [OT] [Fwd: article - Sun & MS directory services]
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:27:31 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2004, at 5:58 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> Interesting news regarding SUN and MS collaboration on the LDAP
>> front.   And does anyone know why SUN is calling the legacy iPlanet
>> code the  'Java Enterprise LDAP Server' now.  There isn't a lick of
>> Java in that  code I thought.
> About a year ago (?), Sun did a rebranding of stuff, and part of that
> was the creation of the "Sun JAva Enterprise System", which included
> non-Java things like LDAP.  It was a big move on their part, as they
> broke the marketing agreements surrounding Java in that no vendor
> could  use "Java" as the lead term in a product name, to prevent
> confusion in  the marketplace between things that were part of the
> language and  ecosystem, and products.
> geir
That's pretty low for SUN to stoop and no doubt this was NOT a decision
made by engineering.  I should not be surprised since economics has a
direct effect on the scruples and calibur of companies where ultimately
sales and marketing prevale.  Yeah the rebranding thing is hillarious:
iPlanet -> SUN ONE -> Sun Java ... as if that's going to change how
people buy LDAP servers.  It shows their desparation under hard economic
times.  The 10 billion accepted from MS and the agreements to join
forces while dealing with the OSS thread is no surprise.

IMHO, SUN became just another company when Bill Joy resigned.  Perhaps
the people driving these tactics are what triggered his resignation.
Regardless its a sad day, because I finally realize that our lovely SUN,
as we once knew it, has truely died.

>> Alex
>> From: Enrique Rodriguez <>
>> Date: October 18, 2004 8:59:30 PM PDT
>> To: Alex Karasulu <>
>> Subject: article - Sun & MS directory services
>> "McNealy confirmed that the companies are focusing on linking their
>> respective directory servers, Microsoft's Active Directory and Sun's
>> Java Enterprise LDAP Directory, to provide single sign-on
>> capabilities  for companies using both servers. "It is one of many
>> projects, but  it's probably the earliest to bear fruit. I think they
>> are going to  put me and Steve on stage for (an announcement)
>> sometime after the new  year," he said."
>> URL might wrap:
>> 2100-1012_3-5416161.html?
>> -enrique

View raw message