directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Coding Standards: API, IMPL and reuse
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:04:19 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > This issue came up in terms of exposing other people's
> > packages in our API.  So are you suggesting that since
> > J2SE APIs are not clean, where clean is defined as a
> > total API/impl separation, that we not expose them in
> > our public API?

> The JDK classes are not an issue, whether they are clean or
> not is irrelevant, they sit in the bootstrap classloader and
> can't be exchanged during the life-time of the JVM.

OK, so there we have a guideline.  JDK classes are fine to use in the API.
:-)

> Since you don't care about classloading and/or think that it
> is not an issue and/or an issue for someone else, then isn't
> this discussion meaningless.

Whomever said that?  I can't find any recollection of such a silly comment
anywhere in this thread.  Certainly not from me, and Alex specifically
talked about classloading issues.

We are going to want to be mindful of classloader behavior for such things
as stored procedures, class and state factories, etc., not to mention
re-deployment of service components.

Alex is also mentioned MAXINE as a possibly minimal micro-kernel, which
would also require proper redeploy support.

> What is API vs Impl?

I don't believe that we're arguing over that question.  :-)

	--- Noel