directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject "Different database methods in Heimdal"
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:24:39 GMT
Sirs,

I was reading your paper, Different database methods in Heimdal, and was
intrigued by the backend performance that you described for your Heimdal
Kerberos server.

ref:
http://www.chips.chalmers.se/Chips/conference/made2000/presentations/daniels
son.et.al.pdf

It appears that you compared the performance of using an in-process
DBM-class database to that achieved when using an LDAP server over a UNIX
socket.  The performance difference was reported as roughly 300x, with the
in-process disk hash being the faster.

We are working on a Java implementation of LDAP and Kerberos.  The latter is
able to use LDAP, but also has access to an in-process interface to an
embedded LDAP server.  We'll be interested in seeing how our in-process
performance our results match with yours.  Although our in-process work is
heavier than just accessing the underlying disk store (similar to the dbm
library), we would be avoiding the request encoding/decoding and the network
access.

Is your performance test code posted with heimdal?

	--- Noel