directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <>
Subject "Different database methods in Heimdal"
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:24:39 GMT

I was reading your paper, Different database methods in Heimdal, and was
intrigued by the backend performance that you described for your Heimdal
Kerberos server.

It appears that you compared the performance of using an in-process
DBM-class database to that achieved when using an LDAP server over a UNIX
socket.  The performance difference was reported as roughly 300x, with the
in-process disk hash being the faster.

We are working on a Java implementation of LDAP and Kerberos.  The latter is
able to use LDAP, but also has access to an in-process interface to an
embedded LDAP server.  We'll be interested in seeing how our in-process
performance our results match with yours.  Although our in-process work is
heavier than just accessing the underlying disk store (similar to the dbm
library), we would be avoiding the request encoding/decoding and the network

Is your performance test code posted with heimdal?

	--- Noel

View raw message