directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Coding Standards: API, IMPL and reuse
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:37:08 GMT
On Wednesday 22 September 2004 00:01, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> There are relatively few packages that have a complete separation of API
> and implementation.  Almost nothing in J2SE and J2EE.

Others shit is a bad excuse to intentionally keep making your own shit.

> What is acceptable to expose in an API?  And where?

Your own API should be sleek and clean.

> Java lacks a means to express it, but not
> all packages are intended for public consumption.

That is another reason to drop it into the implementation classloader, and
have that classloader in a separate branch.

> Trustin asked about coding standards.  Forget about braces, tabs, end of
> line and other mechanical things.  THIS is a coding standards issue.

Not sure what you are on about here. Maybe I have missed it, but I haven't
seen Trustin asking about coding standards. The only one I can think of is
his query about "code convention". Maybe you are referring to something else.

> Lastly, please separate packages from PACKAGING.  How you package things in
> JAR files is not isomorphic with package layout.  Yes, packagING can have
> effects, but it can also be transparently changed when and if necessary.

Agree. What you can't change is what constitutes the API to a smaller set. So
bundling to much crap into the API from the beginning is a sure way to dig an
early grave. (You mentioned the J2SE as an example)

--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /