directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [seda] API & IMPL project/jar consolidation
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:06:09 GMT
On Monday 20 September 2004 08:24, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
> > If I understand correctly you are including a reference to a
> > version of commons-logging in classes that would not be
> > isolated behind an api.
>
> Commons Logging is intended to be an API.  The implementations are supposed
> to be decoupled.  If you have issues with how Commons is structured, you
> should probably raise them (there).

The problems associated with c-loggings are subtle, but by now well-known.
http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/2003/08/15.html
http://www.qos.ch/logging/thinkAgain.html

You are right that this is not the forum for discussing whether c-logging has
the right structure or not, and how it can be improved. BUT it is the right
place to discuss whether c-loggings should be used at all.

Alex has previously proudly declared that the NoLoggingStrategy has been
employed, and I shortly wonder why this is not the case any more or for the
particular case of SEDA.

Furthermore, I urge us to maintain a API, (SPI) & Impl separation for the SEDA
package itself, in good IoC manner, which will enable powerful solutions in
the future, without any runtime performance hit.
Bad organization should not be the result of inadequate and hard to maintain
build system tools.

Cheers
Niclas
--