directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell" <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Coding Standards: API, IMPL and reuse
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:27:57 GMT

In the above 'service interface' means literally a Java interface
construct.  However, I share your concerns/opinions as the subject of
abstract classes.  My own experience is that the issue is much more
related to tools and enabling technologies.  If you have good tools and
the supporting infrastructure - you stop caring about the number of jar
files - instead you think more in terms of classloader composition,
hierarchies, and code-base identification.

This is something that has to be taken into consideration.  Within
Avalon we have over 140 different version projects - but we never play
around with jar files directly.  We do play around with plugin
definitions, blocks, and other constructs that at of the day represent
cloassloader chains, api, spi and implementation hierarchies.

Cheers, Steve.