directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Use of IRC
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 04:07:47 GMT
> some discussions on IRC that we wanted to post to the
> list since the darn logger is not working :(.

IRC is fine for bonding, getting some help in real-time, maybe bouncing some
ideas, but the latter really require the effort be spent to involve the
mailing list.  Yes, you have taken the time to do so.  I'm objecting to the
fact that the logger is not working providing the reason for why.  It
doesn't matter if the logger is working or not.  Discussions on IRC that in
any way effect the direction of the project should be *at least* summarized
in e-mail, where everyone can participate on whatever schedule is available
to them.  And even the e-mail to which I was replying left out background
material.

You can't build a community holding backchannel discussion on IRC.  People
need to be able to see what is happening, learn from it, and involve
themselves via the mailing list.

	--- Noel