directory-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Personal attacks and respect
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:42:06 GMT

Along with conflict deescalation come other traits of how participating
at Apache is meant to be: avoiding personal attacks and peer respect.

Apache communities have to build upon consensus, not polarize factions.
As a fellow member has told me, consensus doesn't mean "majority rules";
it means that people agree on what the community feels is right, even if
it is personally disagreeable.

It's important to remember that all code discussions have to pertain to
the code, not to the person talking about it. Personal attacks must be
avoided at all times, and silence is to be used to ignore the attacker.
If the mails keep coming or get too nasty, it's common that at least one
fellow member explicitly invites the attacker to calm down and stop it,
after which all ignore the fact. If the thing gets impossible to cope
with, the PMC can, in private, decide to do what it feels necessary to
defend itself from public insults to one or more of it's members.

Apache is known to keep people in high esteem, especially peers, that
have always to be taken in high respect. If someone is on the PMC, it is
because all members have agreed to share the project decisions with this
person, because of good and consistent contributions to the project (not
necessarily the code, a project is more than that). This has to be
remembered when voting someone on the PMC, as he will be sharing space
with you.

These are not general guidelines that can or can not be followed, we are
talking about core stuff. There has already been a case in which a PMC
has decided to throw out a PMC member because of lack of respect for
peers. Not that I want this to happen again, but it gives the sense of
how this is important.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html#what-is-apache-about
http://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html#what-is-apache-NOT-about

             - verba volant, scripta manent -