directory-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Learning deescalation
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 10:10:42 GMT

In the thread "Web site ready - give it a try", there has been an
unneeded escalation of tension because an innocent question has turned
into a bikeshed argument. [1]

Keep in mind that others *will* ask questions like these the more the
project becomes known, and the project has to learn how to handle them
without making a fuzz out of them each time.

The suggestions I proposed may as well be wrong: the important thing is
not what the project decides but how it handles pressure. I hope that
it's now clear that learning to de-escalate a storm in a teacup is
important.

I'd suggest that everyone rereads the whole thread, and tries to see
where things started escalating and why. In particular take notice of
how different people react and which reactions escalate.

As a general guide, the best way not to escalate tension is through
silence. [2] For example, if at one point I was said "we have already
decided for this", but I still kept on bugging, simply not responding
would have made me desist.

Finally, as Noel said, voting should not be used to deescalate, as in
fact it does the opposite, and should generally be used only to ratify
important decisions of which there is already consensus, or when the
discussion has been long enough to warrant a stop on it. In this case
the decision was already taken and nobody challenged it (remember, I was
just asking), so it was not needed. If I wanted to start a vote, simply
not voting would have made the issue drop automatically.

[1] http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/16.19.shtml
[2] Consensus Gauging through Silence

             - verba volant, scripta manent -