directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: manager, monitor, etc ...
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:43:52 GMT
> I'm slowly working my way through the codebase putting together some
> initial package documentation.  In the process there is a clear patter
> of "manager" and "monitor" in the api classes.  Is there a summary
> somewhere about the general object model - the roles/relationships
> between manager and monitors .. etc. - and the general relationships
> between the principal packages?

Well as you probably already know the Monitor (or callback) concept
originally came from Paul Hammant's "No Logging" Wiki here:

http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonNoLogging

I tried to devise a Monitor interface for every component service
within the server since the events of interest are specific to the
service.  Furthermore specific service implementations may add to
this.  Hence services expose their own Monitor[ing] interface.
Logging is a specific function of monitoring where we report events
to a log file so that's the gist. There is a webpage on the site
where I tried to describe these matters here:

http://incubator.apache.org/directory/subprojects/eve/components.html

For lack of a better word several of these services have a Manager appended to the functional
name like EncoderManager or DecoderManager because I did not want to just call it Encoder
or Decoder.  So rather than call them manager's and monitors we can just stick with IoC/SOP/COP
terminalogy and say the service
interface and the service's monitor interface.

All service interfaces and their respective Monitor interfaces reside
within the api project of the frontend.  POJO implementations of these
interfaces are within the impl project of the frontend.  Merlin container
specific imlementations are within the merlin wrappers project.  You
already know this but I wanted it out there for others who perhaps do not.

Does this answer your question?  I have a feeling I might have
missed something.

Alex