directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: RE: [VOTE] Re: Re: Web site ready - give it a try
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 02:09:09 GMT

> From: "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com>
> Date: 2004/07/06 Tue PM 05:23:19 EDT
> To: "Apache Directory Developers List" <directory-dev@incubator.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: RE: [VOTE] Re: Re: Web site ready - give it a try
>
> > I don't think this is an instance of bike shed analogy
>
> Well it is a bit of a silly thing to argue about.

Noel we've spent two and half years working on this project from sf.net to Apache now.  If
we care about the names of things give us some leaway even if you believe it's silly.  There
is nothing wrong with that and its only natural.  I'm getting ready to have another son within
the next few weeks.  I'm thinking about his name very carefully.  Is that silly?

> And people can be very passionate about the color of the bike shed, so passion isn't
a good
> indicator.

I can't seem to parse this line.

> Nicola Ken raised a point.  I think that there is general agreement on part
> of the point, and obviously a lack of consensus on other parts.  So let's
> take what we've got and move along with it.

Done deal let's work with it.  If we want to structure the site in a more navigable fashion
that will be clearer I'm all for that.  And as you suggest this is your primary goal, not
to change the name of these products.

> Trying to have a vote to agree
> to not discuss something for a couple of years just isn't going to happen.

True but what does this have to do with this vote here:

> [X] lay the naming issue to rest for now until two or more years
> [ ] take yet another vote to change names and site navigation
> accordingly

The vote was simply intended to lock in a name for a period of time before we formally approach
changing its name again. I don't think there is anything in here about not discussing it.
 I even said its ok that we discuss it. However let us agree that no formal decision would
be made until we reach the end of a suggested term.

Is this not something legitimate we can vote on?  This must be determined to avoid the potential
disinsterest that could ensue within the community.

> You can't legislate when someone will want to talk about something.

Of course this is not what we want and this vote does not do that.

> But so
> long as there isn't a consensus, things aren't going to change, so stop
> worrying about it.

Hey no problem I'll stop worrying about it turning into the Geronimo name nightmare.  But
keep in mind this does not mean I think the premise of this vote is flawed.  It's perfectly
fine, although a bit abrupt. That's my fault - I'll be the first to kick myself on it: it
comes from axiety after watching what occurred on the Geronimo list.

> Nicola Ken made an valid comment about navigation, and
> that can be dealt with on its merits.

Yes here I totally agree.  If clarity and clean navigation is the goal then I'm ready to address
them.  I'll respond in a bit after I get right back.

Cheers,
Alex