directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [eve] merlin wrappers
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2004 06:21:09 GMT
On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 00:02, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 20:58, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
> >>This has some very heavy implications.  Assume for
> >>a moment that you expose commons lang 2.0 and avalon framework 4.1.5 as
> >>part of your API.  Let's also assume that (a) your running as an
> >>embedded component inside another system that you know nothing about -
> >>and lets assume that the embedder is running framework 4.2, secondly,
> >>lets assume that your running a plugin of some kind inside eve that
> >>assumes commons lang 1.0.
> >

> > So for fun we presume our eve-frontend jar contains the classes in
> > commons-lang-2.0.jar and avalon-framework-4.1.5.jar "as part of [our]
> > API".
>
> Nooooooo....  :o)  I think you misunderstood Stephen (below seems to
> indicate the opposite).
> He means that the API does not contain the AF4 classes, and does not
> depend on them either.
> He means that the container should only expose what is absolute
> necessary to its 'children' or managed parts. Classes that are part of
> the container's implementation and extension mechanisms should be in a
> different branch.

I thought Steve was simply trying to make a point without having to
reference exact classes in the eve frontend.  Even if he was not and I'm
mistaken I think the conclusion is still correct in that we should
separate the API from the implementation.

<snip/>

> > Going on the "embedder", which is the application setting up Eve and
> > ClassLoader which is the parent of the ClassLoader with
> > eve-frontend.jar, has avalon-framework-4.2.jar loaded into it.  So we
> > have the following situation:
>
> The 'embeddor' should probably not have the avalon framework exposed
> either, unless it is an Avalon capable top-level container (such as
> Merlin). If Eve is configured to run in the Avalon specific container,
> then it relies on the embeddor's classloader for the AF4 classes.

Right I would tend to agree.  Keep in mind a lot of this conversation
was hypothetical.  Perhaps Steve can clarify some of this when he
awakens.

Alex