directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Access to Janus svn
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:20:44 GMT
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 11:24, "Tencé, Vincent" wrote:
> Yesterday I met with a friend - his name is Jorge - who's interested in
> helping out with Janus (to start with).

That's fantastic welcome Jorge!  Have him give a post and introduce
himself :-).

> We discussed the vision for the
> framework and we decided the best way for him to jump in was to get familiar
> with the code/concepts/... by writing an example application that uses
> Janus. We could make that example app the reference example in the future.

You probably have a vision statement in your xdocs waiting for a site
update but if you don't perhaps Jorge can put it there.  Perhaps he can
elaborate on some of your xdocs as well.  Fresh new eyes are always
good.

> Do you think it will be possible to give him commit access to Janus (at
> least the sandbox in the Janus sub-project) to make things easier?

I don't think we have that kind of authorization granularity with our
present svn configuration (we might though).  Perhaps Noel can chime in
and give us an idea of exactly what we can and cannot do.  However I
think if we grant karma it should be to the whole directory project.

> If yes,
> what is required? I suppose he needs to pick a username. Anything else?

First off we need to follow the Apache procedures.  It seems like you
trust and have an interest in mentoring and/or sponsoring Jorge.  If you
want to go through the motions you can serve for some time as his
gateway into the repository.  Jorge can checkout the repo at will so
access to it is there although committer (write) privledges are not.
You can commit changes on his behalf after validating them.

He should start attaching patches and work on JIRA issues to demonstrate
his interest and contributions to the community.  You can then review
his work and check it in on his behalf as his sponsor.  When you are
confident in his abilities you can request a vote on the PPMC list to
grant him karma to the repository so he can become a full fledged
committer.  It's up to you to determine when to conduct the vote.  You
gauge his progress and make that call.  I'm sure others will watch as
well so they can vote in an educated fashion.  Then the community votes
and decides on the ppmc list ONLY.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Alex