directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: [snickers] Should we separate the BER Decoder from the digester?
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 04:35:24 GMT
On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 23:32, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> While the compiler will generate targeted digesters and that code may go
> away, I find the number of maven projects in this SVN repository
> bewildering.  What do you think?

Yes the granularity is way too fine - it may get in the way of others
that want to build and alter the code.  I have what I think are good
reasons for this but I doubt myself repeatedly especially when I deal
with this overhead.

If you think this decoder stuff is crazy wait until u see the Eve server
components.  Each component has a API, SPI and IMPL project.  With at
least one extra wrapper for a kernel like merlin.  Basically when I
write gbean based components say for Geronimo integration none of the
Avalon stuff will come with Eve.  This fine grained approach  is what
keeps things separate and it was requested of me to not bring Avalon
binaries with me when later embedding Eve into Geronimo.

However its getting too out of control.  I need to figure something out
before we scare everyone away from Eve.

Perhaps you can give me some ideas to better manage this code.  Also wrt
the snickers stuff is the granularity too much?

Alex