directory-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hayes <m...@sleepycat.com>
Subject Re: [bdbje] [rms][je] BUG: JoinCursor.close() not closing underlying SecondaryCursors
Date Sat, 01 May 2004 18:35:05 GMT
Hi Alex,

On May 1, 2004, at 11:11 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> I have found a bug where the JoinCursor.close() method does not
> close the underlying SecondaryCursors.  I have filed an issue
> about this bug in our JIRA here:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRRMS-95

I'm wondering if this could be a misunderstanding of the
JoinCursor.close() method.  JoinCursor.close() closes the cursors that
it opens -- those dup'ed from the array of cursors given -- but it
doesn't close the original cursors.  This is intentional -- we consider
that the caller owns the cursors given, so we are careful not to either
change their position or close them.  The javadoc for
JoinCursor.close() mentions this, but perhaps it should emphasize it:

http://www.sleepycat.com/jedocs/java/com/sleepycat/je/
JoinCursor.html#close()
--
public void close()
            throws DatabaseException

Closes the cursors that have been opened by this join cursor.

The cursors passed to Database.join are not closed  by this method, and
should be closed by the caller.
--

> If you can respond to the JIRA Issue as well as these mailing
> lists that would be great but no worries if its too much of a
> hassle.  The JIRA btw points out the code with the work around
> and how to recreate the problem.

I took a look at this, but I didn't post a response to the JIRA, I'll
leave that to you if you feel this issue has been resolved.  What do
you think?

Mark
Sleepycat Software