directory-dev mailing list archives

From Simon.Tem...@saaconsultants.com
Subject RE: newbie question: snacc4j
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:02:36 GMT

Many thanks for the replies... very informative.

I'll look out for your exit from the incubator!

Any idea about a first release of the stub compiler Alan?

Will it be up to processing an LDAP V3 ASN.1 definition?

- SimonT

             "Alex Karasulu"
             <aok123@bellsouth
             .net>                                                      To
                                       "'Apache Directory Developers
             23/04/2004 17:38          List'"
                                       <directory-dev@incubator.apache.org

             Please respond to                                          cc
             "Apache Directory
             Developers List"                                      Subject
             <directory-dev@in         RE: newbie question: snacc4j
             cubator.apache.or
                    g>

Hi Simon,

Sorry to see you stuck in SNACC4J purgatory as well :-(.

I have an old 2.3 copy of the entire snacc4j tar ball out on
sourceforge which should contain the license with it.  You can get
it hear:

http://ldapd.sourceforge.net/dist/Snacc4J_v2.3.tgz

Luckily I had it lying around before IBM totally took this off of
opensource.

> 2.  Has the snickers code developed sufficiently yet to be used as a
> replacement for snacc4j?

Depends on what part of snacc4j you're referring to.  The stub compiler
might have a while to go but the runtime is pretty much ready.

> 2.  How do I get at the code or pre-release JAR for snickers?

Ahh we can't release while still in the incubator however we should be
out of the incubator within the next couple of months so we can talk about
releases then if anything can be released then.

For now you can checkout and build the snickers code using
subversion.  Directions on how to do this are available here:

http://incubator.apache.org/directory/svn.html

> 3.  How big a re-factoring job is likely to be needed on a module which
is
> currently dependant on com.ibm.asn1.* ?

It's a big change.  Basically the SNACC Stubs are really ugly without
any encapsulation at all as you probably already know.  Snickers is
designed
to encapsulate things and is a clean approach at the relevant
algorithm implementations rather than a transliteration of the old
SNACC C code.  So your code will be better off for it.  Now how exactly
these stub will look will depend on the final Stub compiler.

> 4.  Do you have any estimates when snickers/eve will be ready for
release?

> TIA

The runtime will be ready in a couple of months when we get out
of incubation.  The actual stub compiler is TBA.  Alan may be able to
comment further.

Cheers,
Alex