directory-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [naming] better late than never?
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:27:40 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Well, now that I'm finally au fait with subversion, I've got naming
> checked out and compiling core [factory needs a little work and it's
> late], what's the status?

You should be able to build both; but you need to get core installed first
to build factory (see
http://incubator.apache.org/directory/subprojects/naming/building.html)

The build.xml should also work (Gump hasn't been complaining lately ;-)

> There's the XMLConfigurator Digester thing for configuring. Factory
> contains all creation of type="xxx" I presume? Some nice initial
> documentation on the site [though is a bit hard to find project-specific
> stuff I found].
You mean:
http://incubator.apache.org/directory/subprojects/naming/index.html

Meager indeed, but a start.

> Any plans? How about trying Commons Configuration out as a configuration
> system for Naming?

I was thinking about trying that.   I was also thinking about stealing
from simple JNDI in various ways.

What I was working on most recently was trying to get a reasonable test
framework set up.  It quite likely will need to be refactored; but I think
that a generic JNDI provider test framework will be a good thing to have,
beyond helping us better understand and document exactly what capabilities
are present in the tomcat code.  It might be interesting to see if the
tests work with Simple JNDI (or vice versa).

I am also not at all convinced that the core - factory split is necessary
or cleanly done.  I would be +1 to recombining or refactoring.

Phil