directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: [vote] RMS - Realm Management System
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 05:52:28 GMT

Well it can use a JNDI provider for various aspects.  But mainly we
will create a JNDI based backing store for the information that RMS
serves.

> What interfaces, services, features, does it need?

Different RMS providers will work with different interfaces.  So I
could use an XML based provider to access static XML for data.  Or
I can use a JDBC provider to get at the same information.  RMS is
designed to use different data models for its strengths.  A GUI tool
uses an RDBMS with a JDBC provider to master data within a write
optimized data store.  The content can then be check pointed (used
for rollbacks) and published out to a directory system for example.
When published to a directory the read optimized nature of LDAP
provides a fast highly available data store.

When storing certificates a directory is a natural fit.  Ultimately
if RMS stores CAs for applications then these are for organizational
purposes best kept in directory although they can be stored
anywhere.  We could even store em in XML if we wanted to.

> What kind(s) of entries and JNDI capabilities does it use?

It will store applications, permissions, users, groups and other
profile related entires.  Again it would use standard JNDI
interfaces when the JNDI provider is in use.

> Would it work with Henri's Simple JNDI or an XML-specified JNDI
> context such as we use with a WebApp?

Absolutely if JNDI provider exists we can make it work with that
provider no mater what the storage medium is.

> From what you've
> told me off-list, the answers are yes, but I want to bring this out with
> everyone, and start to build a deeper understanding of how this relates
> with
> our Directory technologies.

And I should have specified more of this in the earlier email.

Alex