directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:24:25 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I don't believe I'm on the directory developers list, sorry.
>

> Nope.  I cc'd you because you are the most knowledgeable person on the
> subject of Maven and our repositories whom I know.  :-)

Thanks for including me.

> Here is the thread:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=directory-dev@incubat
> or.apache.org&by=thread&from=672486
>

>>if you want to publicize your jars for use by the world
>

> That not what an Incubator project should normally be doing.

yes, I get that.

>>Since projects don't stay in the incubator forever, I suggest you don't
>>use it in the groupId for a incubator project.
>

> Somewhere in the URL we want it clear that the artifact is in the Incubator.

Hmm, then I suspect that it would be in the groupId, really, I guess if
a project is depending on something in the incubator, then they
themselves are probably not at release state too (and probably another
incubator project). In which case, its probably quite acceptable that
incubator can be in the groupId.

In which case incubator dev builds would look like

/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-directory/jars/<artifact>...
/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-depot/jars/<artifactid>...
/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-geronimo/jars/<artifact>...
/www/cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-axion/jars/<artifact>...

We just need to make it clear that when a project Graduates, its groupId
needs to change appropriately. When it starts doing release builds into
/www/www.apache.org/java-repository, it needs to loose the incubator.

/www/www.apache.org/java-repository/jaxme/jars/<artifact>...

-Mark

--