directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: [vote] Nominate Ibiblio Content Manager
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:14:46 GMT
Phil, Noel & Mark,

I'm not talking about pushing out and pulling them back in.  Take
for example the ldap project which has a common jar for both clients
and servers.  Eve (server) needs that jar.  Rather than have the user
have to build the common jar and the Eve jar its better to have common
up on some site we all can access.

Noel's idea is a good one.  Since we cannot control the fact that any
project in the incubator can set the version to something other than
SNAPSHOT and upload it we need to enforce the use of a repo that had
incubator in the URL somewhere.  It's just an additional repo that
all in the incubator have access to.  It's just in one place.

The bottom line is xyz-SNAPSHOT.jar != release but you cannot enforce
this unless you restrict publishing (loosely termed) to a specific
repo.  It should be a rule of the incubator actually to keep things here
and only here.

I personally use a repo in my home account
http://www.apache.org/~akarasulu/maven to manage these jars because when I
move to a new machine I don't want everything to have to rebuild over again.
Plus I can manage snapshot's I expose to the other members of the team.
Its for internal use really.  BTW I would really love to blow this
http://www.apache.org/~akarasulu/maven directory away.

It would be nice to have an additional incubator based maven repo for
projects under incubation.  That way I don't have to replicate jars and
others don't either off their own user accounts or yet another site all
together.

Alex