directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [jndi] JNDI support in James server
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:59:26 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The James project in the process of merging our two major branches.  As soon
> as we finish that effort, I would like to start with basic J2EE style JNDI
> support in James.  Just a start, so that a Mailet can do things like:
>
>   InitialContext iCtx = new InitialContext();
>   DataSource ds = (DataSource) iCtx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/ds");
>   String listName = (String) iCtx.lookup("java:comp/env/list/name");
>
> in similar fashion to resources in Tomcat.  I would like the ability to have
> both global resources and per-component (or at least classloader) resources.
>
> This is just a first phase.  Once running, I'd like to add support for a
> writeable DirContext, although I don't know what backend technologies we
> have available in the near tern other than the LDAP service provider.
>
> I'm expecting that this will involve the naming components, rather than the
> LDAP server code, for the moment.  So ... anyone up for helping us to do
> that?  :-)

Count me in.  Most of this should be possible using Naming.  It will be
good to use this as a test case to understand what kinds of configuration,
scoping, access, etc. we should provide in Naming.  This will also provide
us the opportunity to think through how the in-memory provider should
(eventually) relate to the LDAP backend.

I will add some more tests and docs for Naming this weekend which should
illustrate a little better what is available now.

Phil