directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject AAA Licensing ... ASL without CLA or grant?
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:08:11 GMT
Vince,

> Is there any issue with the fact that the security framework is
> based on some code developed under the ASL at sourceforge? I
> remember we had a discussion about legal issues and licenses,
> but I'm not sure what the conclusion was.

As I understand it, the AAAFramework is based upon AAA4Avalon, both of which
are under the ASL.  You and Alex have both submitted signed CLAs, which
cover your contribution of original AAAFramework code.  Your intent, as I
recall it, is for some of the original code from AAA4Avalon to stay, too.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive to IP issues, but although the authors of
AAA4Avalon used the Apache Software License, there is no document between
them and the ASF.  I don't know if we have an official policy regarding
external projects that use the Apache Software License, in terms of whether
we consider that to be an implied grant.  Therefore, I believe that it might
be best if we received a software grant from the authors
(http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=54061), unless there
is an authoritative determination that the ASL is an implied grant by the
author using it.

	--- Noel