directory-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Walker <>
Subject RE: [OT][ASN.1] Interesting quote
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:22:06 GMT
As an outsider watching this project with great interest, and with very little to offer except,
perhaps, some
beta testing, I am looking forward to this day with excitement for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Karasulu []
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 2:13 PM
Subject: [OT][ASN.1] Interesting quote

The author of that ASN.1 Complete book, John Larmouth, made the
following comment in a section of his book when talking about ASN.1
compiler tools:

  "Paying money for a professionally-developed, supported, and robust
   tool is often more effective in the long run than use of a "freebie".
   (The main counter-argument to this is probably the Apache Web server -
   probably the most popular Web server in use today, and it is free! But
   there is an English saying 'the exception proves the rule'."
   p. 124 Section 1.1.1 last paragraph

Interesting isn't it?  I think we may have to prove him wrong again but
have the same organization provide another exception yet again.  For Apache
these exceptions should be the norm.

View raw message