directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <>
Subject Re: [JXPath] Plans for JNDI, JMX and Filesystems?
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:10:01 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Henri,
> You misunderstood.  I meant a JNDI service provider for file system objects,
> such that a DirContext is a Directory, files are present as objects, file
> system attributes are JNDI attributes, etc.  Sun had a beta file system
> provider in an earlier version of JNDI, but it pretty much suffered for lack
> of features, and is no longer provided.
Yes, a fs context provider would make a good addition to directory-naming.
  The basic ingredients for this are already there in the sources from
tomcat (see the FileDirContext class in the resources package of
naming/core).  I am working on repackaging and getting the web site out
for this component.  I will post a link back to this list when the website
is out.

Looks like's Sun's "beta" is in fact still available here:

For anyone interested in volunteering to help develop (or donate) an fs
context provider, here is info on the Apache Directory project (includes

The dev list is:

Sources for both naming and the "Eve" directory server are in the ASF
Subversion repository, here:

The URI for the Subversion repository is:

For help getting started with Subversion, first grab a client here:

and then have a look at the docs here: