directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: AAA Licensing ... ASL without CLA or grant?
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:55:37 GMT
Noel,

> From: "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com>
> As I understand it, the AAAFramework is based upon AAA4Avalon, both of which
> are under the ASL.  You and Alex have both submitted signed CLAs, which
> cover your contribution of original AAAFramework code.  Your intent, as I
> recall it, is for some of the original code from AAA4Avalon to stay, too.

I think vince rewrote the original code base several times over.  From
what I recall there really was not much there to AAA4Avalon but I could
be wrong.

> Perhaps I am overly sensitive to IP issues, but although the authors of
> AAA4Avalon used the Apache Software License, there is no document between
> them and the ASF.  I don't know if we have an official policy regarding
> external projects that use the Apache Software License, in terms of whether
> we consider that to be an implied grant.  Therefore, I believe that it might
> be best if we received a software grant from the authors
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=54061), unless there
> is an authoritative determination that the ASL is an implied grant by the
> author using it.

I thought the ASL is an implied grant to the entire community so
long as the license is still ASL as opposed to the GNU and Lesser
GNU licenses where we would have to contact the authors and get
such a grant.

I don't think there is anything here to worry about but it's your
call.

Alex