directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Re: [seda] Re: SEDA
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:02:09 GMT

> From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
> Quoting Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net>:
>
> > Tim,
> >
> > We absolutely intend to move forward with implementing a SEDA
> > based architecture to the server.  We will not be using Matt
> > Welsh's SEDA code but will implement our own based on NIO for
> > non-blocking constructs to remain pure Java.
> >

> Alex,
>
> That's really interesting!  One thing I would hope is that this implementation
> could be packaged (perhaps in some sort of "commons" or "infrastructure"
> release) separately, so that it could be used as the basis for any sort of
> network server application.  Just as an exampe, it would be fun to experiment
> putting a SEDA-like environment in front of a servlet container, and then see
> who's correct about whether it's faster than a threaded implementation or not.

That's a good idea I'm sure any protocol server could benefit from
a generic SEDA API in the commons.  I'll look into refactoring out
the SEDA stuff as I go over that code again while reimplementing Eve's
front end subsystem.  However there really is not much to SEDA IMHO.
It's one of those ideas where you go, "heck why didn't I think of that."
A queue, a thread pool, enqueue predicates and a handler is pretty
striaght forward.  I'll work on getting the few classes out there
once I'm done with the backend stuff into a commons package within
our SVN repo then you can take a look again.

Alex