directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Re: [JXPath] Plans for JNDI, JMX and Filesystems?
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:32:28 GMT

> From: "Phil Steitz" <phil@steitz.com>
> Date: 2004/01/03 Sat PM 07:10:01 EST
> To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>,
> 	"Apache Directory Developers List" <directory-dev@incubator.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [JXPath] Plans for JNDI, JMX and Filesystems?
>
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Henri,
> >
> > You misunderstood.  I meant a JNDI service provider for file system objects,
> > such that a DirContext is a Directory, files are present as objects, file
> > system attributes are JNDI attributes, etc.  Sun had a beta file system
> > provider in an earlier version of JNDI, but it pretty much suffered for lack
> > of features, and is no longer provided.
> >
> Yes, a fs context provider would make a good addition to directory-naming.

Here, here! I agree as well.  Also on my wish list are the
following JNDI providers:

Webdav/DeltaV
Webdav/DeltaV with extentions for Subversion

BTW some of the slide code may perhaps come in handy for this.
Don't know for certain until I do some research.

<snip/>

>   The basic ingredients for this are already there in the sources from
> tomcat (see the FileDirContext class in the resources package of
> naming/core).  I am working on repackaging and getting the web site out
> for this component.  I will post a link back to this list when the website
> is out.

Thats great.  I would love to help on this but I need to get
Eve up and running soon.  I've been too busy reading literally
thousands of pages in IETF and ITU documents lately: refreshing
myself.

I can help work on this at a high level however I cannot get
into the code until after a couple of months of groking Eve.

<snip/>

Oh and another thing I think Noel and I spoke about it at
some point in time: let's see if we can get file system
change notification working for filesystems like NTFS which
support it.  Unfortunately UNIX does not have a filesystem
with this feature out there.  Don't know why but I suspect
it may have something to due with the locking model differences
between NTFS and most other FS.

Cheers,
Alex