directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Machols <jmach...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASN.1
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:24:07 GMT
On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 20:42, Wes McKean wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have done some research into the ASN.1 features used by the LDAP protocol,
> and I believe that there is only a subset being used.  I believe most of the
> functionality for sending and receiving LDAP messages can be encompassed in
> 8 methods.  This makes me excited, cause we can easily implement these 8
> decoding/encoding methods to get the current ASN.1 stuff out of the project
> and replace it with something of our own.
>
> Jeff, I understand that you have an interest in this as well, so I would
> like to touch base with you tomorrow to make sure we are both not working on
> the same thing, and maybe we could colloborate on some
> development/architecture.

Wes, that is great.  I was looking more at writing the encoder in C
using the Apache Portable Runtime libraries anyway.  I haven't gone very
far with ASN.1 stuff yet, so I don't think we will be duplicating
efforts.  I still have to shore up some things on the client side, so I
will continue on that for now.

I would be interested to see what you have for an initial design.  If
you want to work on the Java side, I will work on the C, let me know
what you think

Jeff