directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Tence <vte...@pyxis-tech.com>
Subject Re: [ot] Guiapp
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:15:26 GMT
It's the introduction of COP to Swing. A framework for building
component based swing apps. It uses fortress for container.

The idea is to use fine grained components as application "Screens".
(Think of them like component versions of regular JPanels). You get the
benefit of COP in that your swing app screens are no longer so coupled
and you avoid traditional Swing spaghetti code. All screens are wired
together with the help a some key components provided by the framework:

- The EventBus - which you already know of, provides the event subsystem
that screens use to communicate
- The ActionManager well ... manages Swing Actions run in response to
button/menus/.. clicks. Commands can be run in sync or async mode using
the excalibur event package.
- The ScreenManager embeds Screens in panels or dialogs for display.

Then there are some utlity components, useful in almost any Swing app:
document manager, document store, ...

If you're thinking of developping a *maintainable* Swing app, that's the
way to go.

- Vincent