directory-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [naming] Commons sources imported
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:08:03 GMT

After installing svn-client on Windows:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/directory/naming/

gave me a 'naming' directory. I decided I didn't like this and changed it
to:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ directory/naming/

which gave me a directory/naming directory, however it went mad and didn't
do what I expected it to. Seems it checked all of incubator out inside my
own directory/naming, so I rolled back to the previous command.

Nice that subversion looks after the branches/tags/trunk[HEAD] bit for me.
was the nicest way to structure a CVS sandbox and svn appears to agree
somewhat.

I'd still like to be able to check it out so that I don't have the entire
directory project, but I do have the structure to check it out, so the
following seems my best bet so far:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/directory/naming  directory/naming/

naming appears to be a separate module as such in cvs parlance in that the
trunk/tags/branches go inside naming and not inside directory. Not a
problem for Apache repo's, but at work I like to have a HEAD/<module>
rather than <module>/HEAD.

Looking in naming, the first look I've reallly done since Phil shifted
things around, my first thought is that 'core' is a bad name to choose.
Too many Unix-C issues, but not a biggy.

Quickly(as if) get Maven-rc1 going on the Windows box through cygwin and
go for a maven jar in the core/ directory and wait while the bandwidth is
sucked up. 90 seconds later, commons-naming-core-SNAPSHOT.jar is built.
I'd recommend not using SNAPSHOT in the currentVersion here, I've found
SNAPSHOT to be useful, but a project should never build itself as
SNAPSHOT, instead it should build as 0.1-dev or something and deploy the
nightly build as SNAPSHOT [something we need to figure out globally with
the Maven guys I reckon, how to make the nightly builds deploy as
SNAPSHOT].

Next step is to build the other tree. I suspect I'll need 'core', by the
name of it, so I do a 'maven jar:install' to put it in my local repo. Cd
back up and into factory/ and 'maven jar' there. It fails to get javamail
and jta-spec, so I'll have to install those by hand. Would be nice if the
project.xml utilised the <url> tag to tell me at least where to get those.

Have to stop now as work's VPN just infected the Windows box. Fun.

Hen