directory-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [ann] simple-jndi
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:04:33 GMT

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > I'm not trying to push this or anything for Directory, but I thought I'd
> > mention it as it's my reason for being interested in JNDI things.
> >
> > I pushed out a 0.7 release of simple-jndi yesterday and put work into
> > making the website a lot nicer to use than the Maven default.
> >
> > http://www.osjava.org/simple-jndi/
> >
> > Hen
> >

> We should discuss seriously the options around merging this stuff into
> [naming].  I will add some more docs for the tomcat-derived stuff and we
> can think about this strategically.  There are several sets of needs here
> and we should start discussing the use cases (standalone apps, containers,
> LDAP JNDI, etc.) and choose the best impl for each.  Lets review the code
> bases and discuss.

The JNDI part of simple-jndi has been very limited, partly due to my lack
of grokking of the more complex areas of JNDI. Most of what is there
code-wise is in fact the underlying database as such.

It can handle XML, .properties and now .ini files as input, mainly by
mapping them all to java.util.Properties with a set delimiter to show the
hierarchy.

It has some basic conversion tactics and in v0.8 will move to use
Commons-Convert as its conversion api. This lets us store some basic
objects rather than just Strings, using the same API as BeanUtils will use
someday [i hope].

I'm installing svn-client on my mac now and will try out the naming build
as you described in the other mail.

Hen