directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: RE: [eve] A Buffer Pool (of direct mapped buffers)
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 06:18:10 GMT
> I have an employer or two that would love to talk to you :-).

Hey, I'm available for consulting.  ;-)

> Why a pool per thread group?

Synchronization.  But it doesn't work unless the buffer is acquired,
consumed and returned all on the same thread.

FWIW, Mark Reinhold and I have a current disagreement about object pooling.
He maintains that recent advances in the JVM make object pooling not only
unnecessary, but worse than not using them.  I disagree, and have benchmarks
for James to support my view.

Regardless, I would use a Factory model, so that pooling can be changed
without impacting client code.

	--- Noel