directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Directory IRC channel on irc.freenode.net
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:49:34 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > Guys is it worth getting an IRC channel on freenode.net?
> > > Or are folks opposed to that sort of thing.
> > If we do it for developent discussions, I would like to see it logged,
with
> > a copy of the log mailed daily to the mailing list.

> I disagree.
> Development discussions are to be done *only* on this list, and reading
> the logs is not a way of participating.

Note that I said *IF*.  I would not want to see habitual development
discussion on IRC, nor should logging be a crutch to allow that to happen.
However, I do recognize that some amount of synchronous discussion will
happen, and would prefer that there be a single place, rather than different
sets of people chatting on MSN, Y!, AIM, etc., without logging.

> Having the logs would mean that someone could say "look in the logs",
> which is really to avoid. IRC is for estemporary discussions and problem
> solving, not for discussing project development.

Your points (including those I clipped) are valid.  My point was that when
those discussions happen, the e-mailed logs will provide a means for others
to see what was said.  If there is a problem with IRC abuse, people will see
it, and can police it.

	--- Noel