directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Tencé <vte...@pyxis-tech.com>
Subject RE: SystemBackend.java Picoification
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:49:38 GMT
Paul,

I'm really interested in your approach. IIUC correctly, we're trying to
share common mechanism by inheritance and have different component "front
ends" to support different containers. I have been thinking recently on the
best way to make the AAA framework both Pico and Avalon compatible. I was
hoping we could support both containers in a single implementation (as
opposed to having PicoContainer and Avalon implementations), for the sake of
simplicity, and that's the path I have investigated. The downside of it is
that as we add support for different containers, it might not always be
possible, so I don't know if this is something we would like to do. You
surely have think of this before.

I have questions about the logging and configuration concerns:

1. In your example, I am assuming that some Pico front end will resolve the
configuration details to build the configuration bean. OTOH, the Avalon
implementation takes care of the configuration itself. Would it be possible
to have a unify configuration mechanism? There is a way to do this using
XStream, but that would impose constraints on (and rework of) the XML schema
of the components configuration.

2. If we want to do logging in the Pico implementation, we need to provide a
Monitor2Logger adapter. So we need a mechanism in the Pico front end to
configure the component with the correct adapter. Is this something that
exist already in one of the nano container sub projects? Also, how do we
handle logging in the abstract component implementation? We can't use a
logger, so we would have to use the monitor, so we end up having to use the
adapter for the Avalon implementation as well.

See, I'm still a bit in the dark here ;-)

- Vincent