directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [eve] Event Manager
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 21:18:06 GMT

Wes McKean wrote:

>I really like the Event Notifier Pattern.  May I take a stab at this?  If so,
>should I write it for Merlin?  Or should I create something generic that can
>be imbedded in any container?  The container could then implement a standard
>interface or something.

What Avalon has been working towards is the general minimization of the
concern that a component has with respect to the container that it is
running within.  You will need to follow some rules - for example if you
need access to resources (such as a working directory) then you need to
use establish Avalon resource names and the @avalon javadoc tags.
Providing you stick with the avalon contract you should not have any
trouble running your component in other containers because they all
claim to support Avalon.

If you need any help on the Merlin container just yell out and I can
give you a hand - or if you want just post a message over on dev@avalon
where a couple of hundred people are lurking around and amongst them is
a lot of Merlin experience.

Cheers, Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell