directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: Directory IRC channel on irc.freenode.net
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:00:20 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>>If we do it for developent discussions, I would like to see it logged,
>>
> with
>
>>>a copy of the log mailed daily to the mailing list.
>>

>>I disagree.
>>Development discussions are to be done *only* on this list, and reading
>>the logs is not a way of participating.
>

> Note that I said *IF*.  I would not want to see habitual development
> discussion on IRC, nor should logging be a crutch to allow that to happen.
> However, I do recognize that some amount of synchronous discussion will
> happen, and would prefer that there be a single place, rather than different
> sets of people chatting on MSN, Y!, AIM, etc., without logging.

I agree. I think that this can work, as long as we all keep in mind that
we are not all always available to participate (my work firewall
effectively cuts me off) and decisioning needs to happen on the list.
Logging to the list will help keep us all in the loop on the real-time
discussions.

>>Having the logs would mean that someone could say "look in the logs",
>>which is really to avoid. IRC is for estemporary discussions and problem
>>solving, not for discussing project development.
>

> Your points (including those I clipped) are valid.  My point was that when
> those discussions happen, the e-mailed logs will provide a means for others
> to see what was said.  If there is a problem with IRC abuse, people will see
> it, and can police it.

I agree here too. We just need to make sure that, as pointed out above,
people know that the discussions are being logged.

Phil