directory-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@ThoughtWorks.net>
Subject SystemBackend.java Picoification
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:28:04 GMT
Folks,

It took about 45 mins.  And is attached.

I've checked sandbox1 and made a single mod for the component 'SystemBackend'. It has been
renamed to AbstractSystemBackend and is extended by AvalonSystemBackend and PicoSystemBackend.
 Best to look at those last two to se the fundamental difference betwen type1 and type3 IoC.

The SystemBackendConfig object is a style preference. Another strategy is to pass its two
parameters directly into the ctor of the comp.

SystemBackendMonitor is a design best described here http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonNoLogging
by Leo Sutic. I don't do logging anymore for resuable components. Not Log4J, nor CommonsLogging,
no 1.4Logging. I do monitoring. Logging to one of those mentioned is one choice. So is the
NullObject pattern. A choice for the deployer/assembler, not for the component coder :-)

Regards,

- Paul

--
http://www.thoughtworks.com -> The art of heavy lifting.
Home for many Agile practicing, Open Source activists...