directory-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Directory IRC channel on irc.freenode.net
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 08:22:08 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>Guys is it worth getting an IRC channel on freenode.net?
>>Or are folks opposed to that sort of thing.
>
> If we do it for developent discussions, I would like to see it logged, with
> a copy of the log mailed daily to the mailing list.

I disagree.

Development discussions are to be done *only* on this list, and reading
the logs is not a way of participating.

Having the logs would mean that someone could say "look in the logs",
which is really to avoid. IRC is for estemporary discussions and problem
solving, not for discussing project development.

The main reason is that it's highly unfair for participants in other
timezones, as they would be cut off development. Another reason is that
there is much more noise in chats, while mails tend to show more
content. Finally, email threads are easier to review and search for than
IRC logs.

Remember that having development on this list is one of the primary
goals of incubation.

As some say, if it doesn't happen on the mailing lists, it just doesn't
happen.