directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: Introducing myself
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:57:35 GMT
Vincent Tence wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Let me take a few moments of your time to introduce myself.
>

> Alex and I have been in communication for several weeks discussing
> Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) concerns. I have
> been working on a AAA framework for containers at sf.net and we saw an
> opportunity to consolidate our effotrs, by both using the directory
> server as a backend to the AAA framework and using the AAA framework as
> the basis to the directory server's security subsystem.
>
> I have been working recently on finding the best way to make the AAA
> framework both Avalon and PicoContainer compatible (Alex says I'm a Pico
> junky now) and I understood it's also a concern of Eve to run with as
> many IoC containers as possible to broaden its acceptation.
>
> I hope we can join forces in working towards building the security
> infrastructure of Eve and making Eve compatible with other IoC
> containers variations.
>
> Cheers,
> Vincent

Hi Vincent,

Welcome aboard!  I am also interested in these things.  I lost the earlier
sf thread on AAA and I would like to come up to speed on this framework.
Can you post some links describing both the technical structure and the
integration model / philosophy.  Is this framework compatible with XACML,
SAML and/or Liberty? Sun has put an OSS XACML implementation of SF and I
have been toying with the idea of integrating something like that into
this project (using directory instances as both identity providers and
policy stores, probably clean-rooming the XACML implementation, but taking
some ideas from the Sun stuff).  I think that it is important that
whatever we implement, we try to keep it standards-based and, as much as
possible, platform and language independent.  Could be we are talking
about different things here.  On the other hand, it could be that we can
find one solution that meets both needs (external, standards-based,
platform-independent identity/authentication/authorization service +
Avalon/J2EE container embedded provider).  Kind of like Eve is doing for
ldap ;-)

Phil