directory-dev mailing list archives

From harm...@kodemuse.com
Subject Re: [snickers] Work on non-blocking ASN.1 BER API
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:35:16 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: Wes McKean <wmckean@logictrends.com>
Sent: Dec 15, 1:16 PM

> The implementation in Windows definitely has some issues, as
> does the implementation  in Linux, I think.

I had spent some time porting a Java Server application to NIO about 6 months back. One problem
I hit was NIO stability. Server application used to work for some time and then come crashing
down. Eventually I rolled back NIO :-(

The pattern I was following, is documented here: http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/cpjslides/nio.pdf

The lesson I learnt was this : Run NIO server tests over a day or two at least and verify
stability over time.

<a bit off topic>
Are there some best practices that you could suggest for NIO based servers ?

Harmeet