directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [AAA] Was: Re: Introducing myself
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

> The architecture and separation of concerns looks similar to XACML.  Cf,
> for example,
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/2406/oasis-xacml-1.0.pdf

I agree Phil.  I have been thinking about borrowing some of the XACML
and finding connection points with the AAA stuff.  I think both have
aspects about them that are very similar.  XACML however has representations
for all parts that play in the diagram.

> (see the data flow diagram on p. 19) with the "container" playing the
> role of both the policy enforcement point and the policy decision point.

>   Having these things separated and defining a (ideally open) protocol
> to connect them provides deployment flexibility (PDPs can be remoted),
> container independence and scalability benefits (the PDPs can cache
> authorizations and provide HA services for multiple containers).   One
> thing to consider would be to at least use XACML policly language to
> represent authorization rules and policies.

Yes as I said it has a very expressive representation that's already defined.
The language definition to express these constructs is half the
battle and I think XACML is the future for such representations.  It
also establishes the relationships between entities.  Vince take a look at
p.21 the relationships are already defined for us - this is what Phil is
talking about I think.

Alex