directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: SystemBackend.java Picoification
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

Paul, thanks for the example.  Vince what do you make of this
mechanism since you have been working on the AAA stuff to make
it work with both Merlin and Pico?

> From: Paul Hammant <Paul@ThoughtWorks.net>
> Date: 2003/12/03 Wed AM 04:28:04 EST
> To: directory-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: SystemBackend.java Picoification
>
> Folks,
>
> It took about 45 mins.  And is attached.
>
> I've checked sandbox1 and made a single mod for the component 'SystemBackend'. It has
been renamed to AbstractSystemBackend and is extended by AvalonSystemBackend and PicoSystemBackend.
 Best to look at those last two to se the fundamental difference betwen type1 and type3 IoC.

> The SystemBackendConfig object is a style preference. Another strategy is to pass its
two parameters directly into the ctor of the comp.

> SystemBackendMonitor is a design best described here http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonNoLogging
by Leo Sutic. I don't do logging anymore for resuable components. Not Log4J, nor CommonsLogging,
no 1.4Logging. I do monitoring. Logging to one of those mentioned is one choice. So is the
NullObject pattern. A choice for the deployer/assembler, not for the component coder :-)