directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: RE: [eve] A Buffer Pool (of direct mapped buffers)
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Mark,

I have an employer or two that would love to talk to you :-).

> >So in a way ironically we're imposing buffer management in
> >a garbage collected language :-) to get better performance.
>
> >Thoughts?
>
> I write Enterprise portals in java that have massive RASUI
> requirements... Reliability, Availability, Scalability, etc... Your
> typical enterprise Uptime requirements.  One of the most important ways
> we accomplish this is by pooling buffers, and data structures... Of
> course, we have optimized ways of checking out and checking in the
> objects (Per Thread pools), but I 100% agree with your statement above.

Why a pool per thread group? I have some ideas (i.e. thread pool to
buffer pool ratio management becomes easier) but I'm interested
in understanding your POV.  Any input on this topic or help would be
welcome.

Thanks for the interest/commentary,
Alex