directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Logo
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 03:54:34 GMT
> But the "tree of knowledge" *is* a religious reference ;-)

It exists in many cultural myths.

> I just don't particularly like the religious undertones or the
> "predetermined, written-in-stone" connotation of the tree of
> knowledge, though.

Huh?  From where did you get the idea that the Tree of Knowledge implies any
sort of pre-determined, written-in-stone, anything?

> Dynamic config! Dynamic identities! Dynamic schema!

Trees grow.  Their structure changes dynamically.  They can be pruned and
manipulated.

> part of what Eve is enabling is lots of distributed trees
> instead of one great big central "definitive source."

Yes ... and one of the interesting ideas that just popped into mind is the
Aspen tree.  Aspen would be an interesting name, too.   Why?  An entire
Aspen grove is actually one tree.

ref: http://members.tripod.com/~bbowles/aspentrees.html

	--- Noel